There was a focus on space this week. Kid asked questions about water and food in space. We watched a NASA video on ringing out a rag and water in the International Space Station. A new word learned this week was "orbit" but we did discuss gravity and the like, again.
NASA's video
Our homeschool co-op was held at Folly Beach this week. Since we'd never been to this particular one, we explored the area a bit after co-op. There is a neat little shop called Follywood with a mural on the side of the building featuring pop icons Elvis and Marilyn Monroe. This led to a discussion on music history as well as civil rights and slavery. It never ceases to amaze me where the smallest question can lead us! We watched a few videos of pre-Elvis top 40s singers and then some of Elvis, as well as a couple of videos to see how The King changed the music scene. Follywood's Elvis:
We worked on writing the Magic C properly and changing it into d, a, o, and g. This was at the request of the OT and I admit that I was a little hesitant because while he enjoys writing when he wants to (and I can use that time to help him correct something), any time I ask him to work on it, we get a full fledged, all day, horrific fit. One of the main reasons we've chosen to homeschool. Now that he has a diagnosis (and I'm not being told by ridiculously incompetent doctors that I'm just seeing things), I have come to understand that a lot of his fits are because of his sensory overload. Writing is a tough one for him. It forces him to feel where he is in space and that's something that he's had to really work on with his therapist. As well, we're not certain he's left handed. He switches back and forth. OT says to keep him on his left hand because that's the one he's most proficient with and since he has to work so hard on developing the skill (compared to others), it is best to not add to it by teaching him on both hands. He is struggling with starting top to bottom and left to right. At the beginning of last year, I thought his issues were due to him being left handed and being taught print instead of cursive first but I see now those were just side effects. : /
For reading, we're working on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I'm doing most of the reading at night, of course. He does pick it up during the day and read it a bit here and there, though!
We've gotten a new dog, Puff. (Not her real name.) Her breed is called a powder puff, she's small, sweet, and an older dog. We're working on Kid having chores and helping around the house so one of his chores is to take her out in the morning and let the chickens out of their coop and into their pen. At first, he was quite grumpy about it but has developed a sense of accomplishment and responsibility concerning it. Of course, it is expected that he'll go back to grumpy again at some point. The hope is that he's learning that we all have a job within our families and communities, even if we don't get paid for it or enjoy it.
Speaking of communities, this week at co-op he gave a friend his new pair of nice binoculars. While I was very upset (it is difficult to find real binoculars that children can see through), he pointed out that he was being nice. He was being nice "like how you give people things and help people when they need it." Guess that in the middle of all the fits and fussing, I've been able to teach him a sense of charity to some level.
Money was a big deal this week, as well! At Follywood, he found a magic coin bank (optical illusion makes the bank look empty). It took some convincing on his and a friend's part but I did end up purchasing the bank for him. This led to him requesting change constantly and wanting to count and understand how much money he has. Math lesson!
No comments:
Post a Comment